Fonta Flora Brewery integrates the soul of agriculture with the artisanship of zymurgy to create a menagerie of rustic and savory libations. With an emphasis on seasonal flora, Fonta Flora brings English tradition and Belgian inspiration to the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina. Fonta Flora utilizes local artists to help conceptualize the notion that fermentation is yet another medium for creating art. This uniquely artisan approach to beer yields a sustainable product filled with culture from our very own community.
Fonta Flora Brewery is a small but thriving craft brewery where no job is too large or too small for anyone. All employees are expected to pitch in where needed and to be flexible with changing day-to-day job duties.
THE BIG PICTURE
An entry-level position, the cellaring assistant is responsible for assisting in the many tasks required to create Fonta Flora beer and will report to the head brewer. Candidates must share Fonta Floras’ commitments to quality, safety, business ethics, continuous innovation, local agriculture, and our own unique culture.
– Fruit and other ingredient prep
– Assist with the canning of beer
– Assemble boxes prior to bottling and canning
– Packing case trays or boxes
– Palletizing filled kegs and boxes in conjunction with Delivery Specialist and/or Brewery Manager
– Bottling beer on a 6 head, manual, gravity-style bottling line
– Labeling bottles
– Wax dipping bottles
– Monitoring quality control on finished labeled and waxed bottles
– Cleaning and maintaining the bottling line and packaging work area
– Clean and properly store kegs
– Clean and sanitize keg cleaning lines prior to and post kegging
– Properly mark/identify filled kegs with appropriate collars
– Inventory bottles and kegs and log and report data to Head Brewer, Brewery Manager, and Delivery Specialist
– Maintain an orderly and safe work environment within the department as well as the entire facility
– Participate in regular departmental meetings to review issues and propose solutions
– In coordination with a brewer, follow strict SOP’s to clean the brite tanks/fermenters post packaging
– Be a team player with the ability to interact with all levels within the organization
– Safely handling cleaning chemicals, and using the prescribed amount for each task
– Attend and professionally represent the Fonta Flora brand at in-state and out-of-state events as needed
– Other tasks as needed
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
– Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application
– Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check
– Previous experience in a brewing/manufacturing environment is preferred but not required
– Extreme passion for craft beer and the desire to learn
– Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
– Good interpersonal skills and team spirit
– The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
– Genuine enthusiasm for craft beer
– Willingness to regularly work during evenings and weekends
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
– Able to stand for prolonged periods of time
– Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
– Able to manipulate valves and clamps
– Able to read and follow written English instructions
– Able to regularly lift/carry 44-pound boxes
– Able to regularly lift/carry 55-pound bags above waist level
– Able to periodically lift/move 165 pounds
– Able to work in a factory/production environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot
– Able to work in an indoor and outdoor environment with moderate noise, sometimes slippery floors
– Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protective equipment such as gloves and goggles
Fonta Flora Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. If you think this job was meant for you and you would love to be a part of our growing yet intimate team, please send your resume and cover letter with a subject of Packaging Specialist to [email protected]
ABOUT FONTA FLORA BREWERY
Fonta Flora Brewery integrates the soul of agriculture with the artisanship of zymurgy to create a menagerie of rustic and savory libations. In business for four years and counting, we take pride in the utilization of local agriculture and foraged ingredients in the creation of our beers on a very manual 3.5Bbl PKW brewing system and a 15Bbl PKW brewing system located on Whippoorwill Farm, a historic dairy farm near the banks of the Linville Gorge.
Full Time Chef
We are very pleased to announce that under the guidance of Obie Ferguson, current brewer at Fonta Flora and former head chef/owner of Wisteria Southern Gastropub, we will be creating a unique, fresh and permanent food concept at our Whippoorwill Farm location. The goal with this food concept is to create healthy, fresh and culturally impactful seasonal dishes to pair with our craft beers, which are created with the very same integrity. With a large annual garden on our historic dairy farm, we will grow a wide variety of fruits, herbs and vegetables which will be utilized in our dishes. What we cannot grow ourselves, we will source from our neighboring farms to create a truly local culinary experience.
We are currently accepting applications for a creative full-time chef to help us along this ambitious culinary/farming endeavor. Please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with Chef in the subject line. Please do not call or drop in about this position.
Part Time Bartender
Please do not call or drop in about this position.
ABOUT FONTA FLORA BREWERY
Fonta Flora Brewery integrates the soul of agriculture with the artisanship of zymurgy to create a menagerie of rustic and savory libations. In business for five years and counting, we take pride in the utilization of local agriculture and foraged ingredients in the creation of our beers on a very manual 3.5Bbl PKW brewing system and a new 15Bbl PKW brewing system located on Whippoorwill Farm, an historic dairy farm under the backdrop of the Linville Gorge and on the banks of beautiful Lake James. Fonta Flora Brewery does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.