Fonta Flora Brewery integrates the soul of agriculture with the artisanship of zymurgy to create a menagerie of rustic and savory libations. In business for three years and counting, we take pride in the utilization of local agriculture and foraged ingredients in the creation of our beers on a very manual 3.5Bbl PKW brewing system. With the recent purchase of an historic dairy farm and a 15Bbl PKW brewhouse, we are looking for a unique individual to help as we continue to create distinctive “Appalachian” style craft beers.
The brewer at Fonta Flora will act in the day-to-day operations of our brand new, 4 vessel, 15Bbl brewhouse and our original 3.5Bbl location. Said brewer plays leading roles in brewing, cellaring, packaging, and cleaning. As working with a very small team, this person should expect to take on a myriad of tasks, no matter how large or small. This person will report to the Director of Brewing Operations and will follow brewing procedures and recipes established for and approved by Fonta Flora Brewery. Candidates must share our commitment to quality, safety, business ethics, philosophy and agricultural roots.
Production planning in coordination with the Director of Brewing Operations.
Ability to safely lift 50-55lb grain bags into our mill.
– Milling up to 1,000 pounds in 50-55 pound bag increments, in accordance with a brew/recipe sheet.
Wort production and hopping, on both our 3.5Bbl and 15Bbl system, to correct sugar and hop concentrations as dictated by the recipe/brew sheet.
Familiarity with cereal and turbid mashing techniques.
Extensive knowledge in alternative ingredients used in brewing a plethora of Fonta Flora beers.
– Filling out brew logs, noting any discrepancies, formulating recipes, and performing associated math equations.
– Able to troubleshoot mechanical issues and perform basic preventative maintenance of brewing equipment (pumps, VFDs, grain transfer systems, etc.).
– Dry hopping the prescribed amount of hops to a designated fermenter via the top port of the tank.
– Yeast management, including the harvesting and/or pitching of yeast from the prescribed fermenter/brink while following sanitary procedures.
– Following established procedures to clean the brewhouse, fermenters and brite tanks.
– Safely handling cleaning chemicals, and using the prescribed amount for each task.
– Applying the correct pressure and volume of compressed CO2 gas to brite tanks for carbonation and displacement of beer as it is being packaged.
– Coordinating the distribution of finished product to our distribution team.
– Serving as a representative as needed to discuss our beer and brewing methods at events hosted on site as well as in North Carolina, out-of-state and international events.
– Regularly hosting tours for vendors, distributors, and accounts through our brewing operations.
– Other tasks may be assigned as needed.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
– Minimum 3 years of commercial brewery experience.
– Ability to safely operate a forklift and pallet jack.
– Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude.
– Good interpersonal skills and team spirit.
– The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
– Willingness to regularly work during evenings and weekends.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
– Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application.
– Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
– Able to stand for prolonged periods.
– Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
– Able to manipulate valves and clamps.
– Able to read and follow written English instructions.
– Able to regularly lift/carry 44 pound boxes.
– Able to regularly lift/carry 55 pound bags above waist level.
– Able to periodically and safely lift/move 165 pounds.
– Able to work in a factory/production environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot.
Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles.
Salary and benefits to reflect candidates specific skill-set and experience.
Please email cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Brewer Position” in the subject line.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Fonta Flora Brewery strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.